Re: [AMC-List] Nobody home here? Something Bad Hapen?

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, RetroRalph wrote:

> OK, OK... Dang!  You caught me holding my breath... Glad all is ready for
> the "GO" button here.   I must be paranoid, too.

Gotcha! :-)

I should have elaborated...

The machine that amc-list.com and the mailing list software is
hosted on, turing.wps.com, is a modest 2-rack-unit computer. It
got physically moved on Monday to better digs. It's in a maximum
security international telecom colocation in Seattle; my friend
Randy who rents the rack ran out of room and had to expand a
few racks down. It's got dual A/B power (separate feeds into
the building, from two different municipal grids!), generator
backup,  and over a gigabit/sec of connectivity, two hops from
international backbone routers.  (Traceroute to it!) It's quite
an honored site that I'm very flattered to have a machine in.

Anyways, it got shutdown, moved, restarted; down time was just a
few minutes. After restart it was accepting and delivering mail.
The mailing list software and web server however require manual
start as they are internally passworded. This means only that
mail sent to the list wasn't distributed until manual start;
it's received OK and nothing (zero) was lost.

Even if turing.wps.com stayed down for an extended period,
it has MX backups to recieve mail; the list would not go OUT
until turing was brought up, but incoming mail would not be
lost unless it was down for 4 days continuously. About daily,
the entire mailing list (member list, mail archive, overhead,
etc) is copied to a machine 1200 miles away.

Since none of us live up there, about every 4 - 5 years we
simply buy another computer, ready it in LA or San Fran, and
ship it up. We've got enough users of the machine that passing
the hat for new hardware is pretty damn cheap.

This exalted position is left over from my early internet days.
I'm spoiled; we had our own class B address block and ASN (2914).