Re: [AMC-List] Strut Rod Bushings Revisited Ford/AMC

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, John Elle wrote:

> As the strut rod pivots at the bushing to allow for lower control arm
> movement, does this mean that the pregnant side of the large washers
> face forward, towards the rear or does one face forward and the other
> towards the rear and if so which one. Also which way would the bushing
> install in the hole in the strut rod mount?
> The line drawing on the instruction sheet seems to indicate that the
> installation drawn is the Ford application.

http://wps.com/AMC/Strut-bushing-modern/index.html

It depends on the bushing type. The 63-64 one piece, concave
forward, away from rubber; the bushing was designed to be
deformed sideways.

Most later ones, concave towards rubber, apparently to distribute
force onto maximum cushion area. Also work-heats cheap rubber
and makes them collapse.

Nearly all have the concave-away-from-rubber on the back side. I did
watch cushion deformation on the back side by partially assembling
the lower arm & strut and raising and lowering and watching
everything move.

If it's just a truncated-cone aftermarket bushing, I'd put it
concave-to-rubber in front, concave-away on rear.