Re: [AMC-List] Diary of a crippled white man III

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Mark Price wrote:

> Stayed up till 2:30 am as I have surgery today and can’t eat after midnight.

Good luck! I'm glad it's at least correctible, if not exactly "fun".

> Strut rod bushings. Someone said they interchange with the early mustang pieces. If so, there are a few places that I have seen making pieces for the early Mustangs. Global West, TCP, Or these, all seem to cost about the same.
>
> http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Adjustable-Strut-Rods-pr-16135.html
>
> This second set from TCP is awesome and rebuildable.
>
> http://totalcontrolproducts.com/download/datasheets/STRD_DS_WEB.pdf

Wow! OK, that kills setting-drift flat-dead. But I bet it rides worse
than poly bushings.

> I question their use however as the load is reversed from the designed use. Mustang Bushings are being pulled and AMC is in compression.

I'm sure the manu would know ASAP.

>  Granted the solid rod ends will likely not be for everyone, but it is an alternative to 30 year old rubber or crappy aftermarket bushings.

For most uses, the simplest and pretty much absolute fix --
at the expense of increase road noise and shock, and urethane
"groan" -- is the half-polyurethane bushing on the stock
suspension. For adjustable strut rods, it's a trivial drop in,
and it simply does not sag with age. Maybe given enough time,
it will crack or cold-flow, but my cut-down jobs haven't budged
a millimeter in 3? 4? years.