Re: [AMC-List] torpedoed 65 rambler prototype ebay auction

Frank wrote:

Date: Thursday, August 24, 2006 03:27 AM
From: francis.swygert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It is possible that the people selling realized that it most likely is
not a "prototype" of anything. What led them to believe it was a
pre-production or prototype was the 1963 date on the build sheet. After
viewing a couple build sheets recently it's obvious that AMC made some
orders 18-24 months in advance. This makes sense -- the company has to
have cars ready for dealers when they come out, and the factory needs
build sheets well in advance so they know what parts to have ready (and
to order). So the process has to start that far in advance. Once
everything is set up and running it wouldn't take to long to build a few
more cars as orders came in. The serial or last six numbers of a VIN
indicate what sequence the car was ordered in. An AMX build sheet on
Eddies site has a date two years before the car (67 for a 69, I
believe). The "prototype" remarks come from that date, and I suppose is
a reasonable assumption not knowing how the factory operated. I was
willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at first, but my request
for a photo of the serial number and door tags were ignored. I told them
specifically that I'd been asked about authenticating the car as a
possible prototype or pre-production model, and signed the e-mail as
editor of AIM. I'm pretty convinced it's just a nice convertible. Still,
a nice mid 60s AMC V-8 convertible should be worth $12K or so. Price a
Chevy or Ford mid size convertible in as good a condition. You'll get
more looks with the AMC too!I agree, in my humble but loudmouthed opinion,
this car looks like it should fetch $12K-$16K. However, it takes more than a
blog to make a point. We can pull up Dan Rather's blog to see how inaccurate
it is. I nicely asked them for more info and was simply told "you go look at
blog" which again, takes me back to square one. I have a lot more build
sheets not loaded on my site inclduing some for some unusual cars. There
were no California 500 Special AMXs made in October 67, for thr 69 model
year for instance. Maybe October 68 (because production began for 69 models
in Aug 68) but not 67. to me at least, it would seem aMC simply used build
sheets 'on hand'. Maybe like some of the parts in the parts bins.

It is a wonderful looking car, (the 65) however when you make some sort of
comment like one of one, people are going to ask you some questions,
especially those who are serious about possibly adding a vehicle like that
to their collection.

If it was a car like the Mustang that is on the current cover of Hemmings
Muscle Machines, a 67(?) Shelby....prototype.....that is a little different.
It is documented. And at least to me, it takes more than a blog and piece of
paper to authenticate something that should have a paper trail a mile long.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx