[AMC-List] Idiot light on when charging

      1981 Eagle SX/4. 258 4spd. and 1979 Concord 258 Auto.
      Both cars are using GM style alternators.

      The 1979 Concord. Turn the key to the on position the idiot light (IL) is off.
      Start the car and the IL is off. Alternator is not charging. (Pulled the posivtive cable off and the car dies.)  I rev the engine to about 1500rpm the IL comes on
      and the system is charging. As long as the IL is lit the system Charges.
      The orange and red small wires are hooked up to the alternator.

      The Eagle SX/4 is essentialy the same except I have to Rev the Engine around 2500 RPM to bring the IL on.

      The concord was sitting for a while and then the symtons happened upon start up.
      The SX/4  was  Sitting for about a year. When first started about 3 weeks ago
      The charging worked fine. Last week  The IL problem surfaced.
      There is some corrosion present in the Fuse block.

      Any suggestions.

      Bryan

      Back to top