Re: [AMC-List] Idiot light on when charging

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Teamamc wrote:

>       1981 Eagle SX/4. 258 4spd. and 1979 Concord 258 Auto.
>       Both cars are using GM style alternators.

Did they ever work right? If not, they are almost certainly
wired wrong.

Besides the big post on the alt that goes to the battery,
the two on the plug on the side of the alt are:

* dash ALT light + 'turn alternator on now'

* sense wire 'alt measures actual battery voltage'

The ALT light is wired

switched ignition --> ALT light --> alternator terminal

When the ignition is turned on, current runs through the ALT
light (idiot light) into the guts of the alt and into the field
to start the alternator. No lamp, or severely wrong lamp (note1)
alt wont start.

The sense wire measures the battery voltage and compensates
for voltage drop in the wiring etc so that the alt puts 14.4V
on the battery regardless.

NOTE1: I have an LED lamp replacement in my dash; it doesn't draw
enoug current to start the alt below 1500 rpm, but it reliably
does once I've revved it. I'm goin to fix it "real soon now" :-)