Re: [AMC-List] Rambler American grilles

Grilles are different for each year of this final body style.

1966 are bright dipped on the face with two vertical lines that break the
grille into thirds.
1967 are bright dipped on the face with no vertical lines.
1968 are mostly black with a bright dipped band just above the middle with
a RAMBLER badge in them
1969 are the same except no RAMBLER badge
SC/Rambler grille appears to be the same as the 1969 grille except it's all
black.

1967-69 grilles can all be interchanged without problem so the grille isn't
the best way to tell these cars from year to year. 1966 also used different
headlight doors and fenders so I'm not sure how well that year grille fits
on a later car.

The black is satin black. You can see some good pictures of a perfect 1968
grille at
http://www.mattsoldcars.com/gallery/EdmundAnderson2004/low_mile_american/index.shtml.
You can see a so-so SC/Rambler grille at
http://www.mattsoldcars.com/gallery/teague97.shtml (near the bottom). These
pictures are not all that good but you can clearly see that it's not like
the 1967 grille.

Matt

At 03:58 PM 7/25/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>   Just curious...
>I have noticed that SC/Rambler grilles are painted
>completely black.  Are they the same as 68-69 grilles,
>with the "silver bar" painted black also, or are they
>the same as a 67 grille, without the bar from later?
>Can't seem to find any good pics at the moment... I
>assume this is the "satin" or "competition" black as
>opposed to flat black.
>mike

>or go to http://www.amc-list.com

mhaas@xxxxxxx