Re: [AMC-List] 64 Typhoon Project

Kent, you can use all the parts you need from any 63-66 Classic or Ambo
two door hardtop. Same for the drivetrain -- it just needs to be a 232
if you want to be Typhoon specific. There was nothing special about the
Typhoon 232, so it will still look correct with any engine. You just
need a 63-66 Torque Tube trans (earlier uses a different TT mount) and
any 64-71 232 (or a 71 258 -- the only year that will bolt to your
trans). You can't put a 258 crank in a pre 71 232 though. The deck
height was raised ~1/8" to get the bigger stroke. I've heard of a
spacer being made for a long stroke AMC six, so it could be done. The
fellow I talked to (can't remember who) had the spacer bolted down and
the block bored with it in place. He increased the stroke of a 258 this
way for a Jeep racer (offset ground the crank). Lots of work!! Using
the spacer and a 258 crank in an early 232 to keep the TT trans makes a
little more sense.

On July 11, 2006 KENT ANDERSON wrote:

> I'm getting kind of desperate for an engine/tranny for this '64
Typhoon project.  I really don't want to part out the other Typhoon
over this.  It would be a shame to destroy one of the few real Typhoons
left to build the first one up.  I'm even thinking of possibly selling
the second one, instead of restoring it, too.
> I also need a rear seat back, windshield, rear window, and both side
windows for this 64 Classic 2-door.  I can still get a new windshield
from SafeGlass, but it's $600.  I'ld kinda like to avoid that one, if I
can.
> Also, I have available vinyl transfers for the gussets that rust away
on the mid-60's classics.  They can be applied to sheet metal, cut and
folded on the lines, and welded to the fender/cowl.  I have a couple of
photos, if interested, let me know.  This Typhoon project has taught me
how to fold metal, weld, and cuss in six languages!
> Hope someone can help with that engine/tranny deal.  I really don't
want to strip the other Typhoon of parts.  It would be a blast to
restore both, and the little lady and I could do cruises with his/hers
Typhoons!  (AND save one of the last few of 'em, too.)