Re: [AMC-List] Report from the desert

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006
From: eddie walker <moparedwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] report from the desert

...Sure sounds like a timing chain broke....

-----> This situation DOES sound like a timing chain
issue, maybe even a valve strike on a piston.  I
pulled the drivetrain(the only real way to get at
either the engine or trans on these pre-77 Gremlins).
After removing the belts, the water pump turned
freely. Engine still wouldn't rotate. Hmmm. Checked
the alternator, rotates freely. Engine still wouldnt'
rotate. Hmmm. No antifreeze in oil. No oil in
antifreeze.  When I pulled the starter, it was VERY
difficult to remove.  As I finally pulled it free, I
detected a slight rotation of the crank. HMMM?  Yes,
the starter itself had frozen, with the drive gear in
the extended position.  Upon further inspection, it
appears that one of the magnets on the casing has come
loose and jammed, producing a lot of heat, as there is
severe bearing failure on both ends of the starter
shaft.  The starter case is even ovalized
slightly(about .040 across the diameter). NOW the
engine rotates just fine. Pulled the valve cover and
had a look at the rockers while rotating it.  Checked
the distributor, everything seems to still be in time.
 Incredibly, no damage to the teeth on the flexplate.
So I could just call it one very difficult and
time-consuming starter replacement.  But the miss I
mentioned still concerns me, and there is quite a
pronounced tick(almost a knock) coming from the lifter
galley at #3 cylinder.  So I have lined up Molly's
258, the Jeep 258, and the extra '76 232 side by side.
 Last night I ordered a Comp Cams towing cam and
lifters, a Cloyes true-roller timing set, new hardened
pushrods, guide plates, and scored a set of steel
hydraulic roller rockers off of a friend. Once I have
all the heads off I'll make a decision on replacement.
 There's a place in Phoenix called Bill's Cylinder
Heads that my Dad and I have used for over 30 years
that does excellent work and offers rebuilt AMC I-6
heads for 99$.  The parts should be in by Saturday, so
with any luck Project Mollyfloggin' should be up by
Monday, and Molly can go back to irritating the clones
in traffic. Oh, yeah, after all the cam stuff and
associated doo dads like thermostat housing,
thermostat and various gaskets and seals, I forgot to
buy a starter. What a moron.
 mike