Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project

" From: <francis.swygert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" IIRC the AMC 20 from even a big car will fit (67-78 Matador, etc.). It's
" actually about 2" wider, but deeper offset tires will work fine.  New
" model Mustang wheels have a deep offset. Just get longer grade 8 bolts
" for the spindles and space them out about another inch. I used large
" grade 8 nuts that slipped over the bolts for spacers on the front of
" mine, and that was just right (I think they are 1/2" nuts). A Javelin
" axle will be about the right width for stock wheels.

'68-'70 amx/jav use the same axles as hornet/grem/etc; 56.6-57" track.
'71-4 jav are 60", like '69-up big cars.  '67-8 big are 58.5".  '66
big are 57.5".

" I'm writing an article about putting the rack and pinion in for the next
" AIM. I really don't recommend it. It's a lot of work and there really
" isn't any gain. It's much easier to put a modern style power steering
" box in, and you can get a GM quick ratio box for about the same price as
" a rack and pinion, without all the work.

i agree.  rack and pinion has packaging advantages and is probably
simpler [read: cheaper], but it isn't inherently better than roller
nut and sector, and after all these years the gm saginaw is very
tunable for feel and effort as well as ratio.  and it bolts in.

i've driven for the past several years with 16:1 manual steering from
an amx in my '68 american.  i can't imagine what r&p could possibly
gain me over it.