Re: [AMC-List] rear end wanted

" From: Mark Price <markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I did know a yard that had several early 70's CJ narrow tracks, I
" think they all had the Danas in them though, was the 44 that early?

it goes back to the '50s at least.  the jag xk rear uses a spicer 44
chuck...

cjs used d44s in the rear almost from the beginning.  they may be too
narrow until the '76 redesign.

" I wonder what they would have been geared like?

5.38 in 4cyl to 3.73 [iirc] with sixes.

" I should look into it for my American, I'd like to get around a 3:55
" gear in mine for when I move to the 2:95 geared T-5.

i still think a dart 8.25" would be sweet.  i -know- the dimensions
are practically the same as the american.  you'd have to pull the
axles to put 3.55s in anyway, so just take the axle with the lh studs
and have them replaced with rh ones.

jeep has used the axle since the early '90s; in '95 the axle shafts
changed from 27 to 29 splines.  std. gears are 3.55...  speculation:
the jeep shafts could easily be shortened and resplined, and they and
the 3.55 chuck could be slid into a dart housing.