Re: [AMC-List] 4 hole Flywheel (86) work w/ 3 hole Balancer?

Re: [AMC-List] 4 hole Flywheel (86) work w/ 3 hole Balancer?

A: SOme people with Jeeps have used the 304 and 360 flexplates interchangeably (I always found vibration) The 304 has slightly less offset weight than the 360. I went through this with my '73 J4000 when I swapped a 304 for the dead 360. WHich trans are you running? The universal with adapter ring? New flexplates are still available (I still have my old one from the '73. I was going to cut the weighted portion from it to find out how much the 360 needed but never got around to it. The teeth were nearly chewed off in one spot)

From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: [AMC-List] 4 hole Flywheel (86) work w/ 3 hole Balancer? To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx Message-ID: <20060603212546.22236.qmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

OK, please read before you respond as the header is a
little cryptic.

I am putting an 86 360 in my 73 Commando.  When I sold
the original 304 out of the Commando, I did not have
time to keep the 3 hole balancer that came on it.

So, will the flywheel that came off the 304 with the
three bolt balancer be balanced OK with the 360 4 bolt
balancer?

If it is just a matter of comparing part numbers, what
is the proper part number for a 360 flywheel that will
work with the 4 hole balancer?

Thanks and have a great week,

Jesse

Jim Blair, Seattle, WA '84 J10 Black Jack (getting lifted and stroked!), '73 J4000 304/TH400/QT tow truck http://www.virtualjeep.com