Re: [AMC-List] 4 hole Flywheel (86) work w/ 3 hole Balancer?

Re: [AMC-List] 4 hole Flywheel (86) work w/ 3 hole Balancer?

SNIP
" I am putting an 86 360 in my 73 Commando.  When I sold
" the original 304 out of the Commando, I did not have
" time to keep the 3 hole balancer that came on it.
"
" So, will the flywheel that came off the 304 with the
" three bolt balancer be balanced OK with the 360 4 bolt
" balancer?

no.
SNIP

AMC V8 engines are externally balanced and depend on the fly wheel or
flex plate matched to the displacement of the engine and in some cases
the application as to what transmission it will be mated to along with
the harmonic balancer (Damper).
With the exception of the previously pointed out '70 360/390 application
each engine size will have its own unique flywheel and harmonic balancer
(damper) applications.

SNIP
" If it is just a matter of comparing part numbers, what
" is the proper part number for a 360 flywheel that will
" work with the 4 hole balancer?

'70-1 360 p/n 3196929
'72-? 360 p/n 3212653          - i believe this fits all post-'72.
SNIP

Here is additional information that may prove useful.
New Harmonic Balancers (DAMPER)
Part # 910 4501E   1970 390 cid and 1970-1972 360 cid
Part # 910 4501B   1970-1972 304 cid
Part # 910 4501G   1968 and 1969 390 cid
All includes a new woodruff key and are 3 bolt pulley types
Available from
Kennedy American, American Parts Depot and Galvin Rambler.
There may be others also so check with an AMC parts vendor.

Harmonic Balancer (Damper) Part # from 1981/82 Parts Fische
3 Hole Damper from '81 Parts Fische
323 0130       V8 304
323 0131        V8 360

If you do a Yahoo search with the following information;
Damper 3230131
Additional web sites will come up that may prove helpful

Also

Group 1.056 FLYWHEEL ASSEMBLY, Crankshaft (Manual Transmission)
Part #          Application
317 9069        '66-69 290
318 1609        '67-69 343
319 1662        '68-69 390
319 6927        '70-71 304
319 6929        '70-71 360; '70 390
321 0496        '71 401
321 2651        '72-78 304
321 2653        '72-74 360
321 2655        '72-74 401
323 3955        '79 304
323 6523        '81 304
321 2653        '81 360
321 6524        '82 V8 (304?)

In addition if you do a Yahoo search using the following information;

FlyWheel "321 2653"

Additional sites on flywheels will come up.

Hope this helps somewhat.
As far as I know on a given displacement the 3 or 4 hole damper is
unique to the pulley configuration used only, if you have the need for
one or the other you can purchase or find the appropriate number of
holes for a pulley from the same displacement engine.
As far as I know despite nuances in OEM fly wheel part numbers that may
be seen from year to year you can swap any same displacement fly wheel
from engine to engine with out a functional problem. The same goes for
harmonic balancers (Dampers).

John