[AMC-List] Emergency sale of '68 Jeepster

[AMC-List] Emergency sale of '68 Jeepster

FWD from the Jeep list I'm on:

The problem with Brian's trans is most likely the wrong oil has caused synchro probs, the pilot bearing in the back of the motor has run dry (it gets extremely tough to shift when hot but works otherwise. People told him to put synthetic oil in right before this happened) The clutch doesn't slip. It just doesn't want to release easily.
One other possibility is the clutch arm is bent (it's a 225 V6 snubnose with 3 speed standard) which is making it hard to disengage the pressure plate. (I did that a few times on older vehicles in my younger days) Bottom line is I don't think it's that serious a problem to fix, but I have no time/place to do it (I just sold my '93 XJ so I could attend my mother-in-law's funeral)
I would be tempted to pull the std trans and get the Buick TH400 adapter ring for a BOP (Buick 350 or V6 from a CJ) and put the TH400 I gave Brian in (should bolt directly to the tcase unless it's a small hole D18) then it may need driveshafts (someone who did a TH400 to 3 speed swap should know for sure)

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under."

- Ronald Reagan

Here's the situation...  Brian has this pretty decent '68
Jeepster that has a transmission problem.  He's in a family
situation where job losses have set them back...  The transmission
has a problem on his Jeepster and someone quoted him $900.  That
seems a bit steep to me, but I don't have time to crawl under
it and check it for him.  Maybe one of the Seattle-Snohomish-Everett
folks can get in touch with him and help him out.

So, here's the plea.

1) help Brian fix his '68 Jeepster
2) buy Brian's '68 Jeepster for at least $1,700 or more
3) do something to help him get it fixed

here's some pictures of it.
http://wagoneers.com/JEEPS/68-Jeepster/ALL.html

I've only met Brian once, and he's corresponded with both Jim Blair
and me.  He's a decent guy, hard working and honest.

If someone can help him out with a wrench or a sale, that
would be great...  I'd vote for the wrench work...

I'm being tempted by no less than three Jeeps at this point...  but
am resisting the urge, it's very hard, I remember when the '68 Jeepsters
came out and they are so very, very cool. (my first car was a '68 Mustang!)

If I didn't have 7 Jeeps of my own right now.... oh wait, 8. :)

Brian, email me your phone number, if I get some time later this evening
I might try to look at it for you... I can't imagine a manual transmission
problem costing $900...  You need to contact an honest mechanic, like
Jim Startup over in Everett, Washington.  :)

john