Re: Adjusting steering box play...easy!

 I believe that AMC used the GM Saginaw steering boxes. They are real easy
to adjust. There's a big threaded stud sticking out of the top cover plate,
it has a nut on it. Get the wheels of the car straight first, then move the
steering wheel back and forth to try to "center" the steering on level
ground, then loosen the nut, and turn the threaded shaft Clockwise until it
bottoms, then back off CCW about 1/2 a turn. Retighten the nut, and check
your steering. you may have to hold the stud while retightening the nut, as
it can turn, so use a open-end wrench and a screwdriver to hold the stud in
place to prevent it turning and binding up, as tightening the nut will bind
the stud ( and your steering ) , not loosen it ! You can use a socket and
rachet to loosen the nut, however. :) It probably has never been loosened
since the factory did the first adjustments. As someone said, it's a lost
art, but it's an easy adjustment. Something people never really think about,
liking greasing their points on occasion. LOL. Yes, the points need some dab
of grease on the cam on occasion. But no one ever does it. Ok, that's my Tech
Advice for the day. Hope you enjoyed it!

Jerry Casper