Re: what do i do

RJ.
Heres my 2 cents worth. The I6 buildup would be great and different,
but it will cost you double and net you half the power. Clifford can
tell you exactly what to build and buy, but with all the fixins you
will only get around 200-250 horses, so Id rethink that.
The AMC route is great if you find one at a good price. Like Bart
said, look at Jeeps for 360's and even 401's and someone on here
offered me a 304 if I went and got it and rebuilt it. I seen a Jeep
Wagoneer in traderonline with a crappy body and good running motor
(401) for $1000.00 dollars, so there out there.
The sbc install isnt real hard. Use a small cap distributor, set in
your motor, slid it back till the distributor cap is close to the
firewall and weld you a steel plate onto the crossmember were the old
motor mounts were and mark and weld em and hook it up. Just a little
fabricating.
Whatever you do, just enjoy it and dont sweat all the madness. I may
one day put a AMC motor in, but right now Im enjoying what I got and
it runs just fine for me. Rod

- In gremlintime@xxxx, "rjstrong" <rjstrong@xxxx> wrote:
> all right gang
> got some questions and need some help ive been listening to the
debate on here for some time now about keep it amc or some thing else
i have also heard people say keep it original insted of turning a 6
to an 8 well what to do i now need to decide because my 258 is on its
last leg and needs some help i knew it was weak when i baught but i
really wanted the gremlin so i got it anyway
> so here are my questions
> 1.can i make a 258 scream and how if any one out there can tell me
so i can have the machine shop build it that would be cool and
roughly what would that cost i reallize prices may very but just so i
have an idea
> 2.what would be a guess on how much a basic rebuild would cost and
i can add 4 barrel and exhaust and air in take system my self i know
how much that stuff costs
> 3.a v8 304 360 401 is there any others that are amc so when asking
around i know what to look for
> 4. what would be recamended for a transmission with any of those or
even for the 258 since mine isnt the best or can i use the auto thats
in there if i have it rebuilt
> 5.and then the rear end in mine is good but is it good for a v8 or
a screaming 258
> 6. with out any one gripping and moaning since i was a chevy man
befor i ever got my gremlin i do have a couple sbcs (just keeping my
options open)what are some things i would need to know about
installing one them cutting? welding? new what ? i dont really want
to cut nothing or change a whole lot to the integrity of the vehicle
but like i said just checking my options

> if any one can help thanks and if these questions sound kinda dumb
deal with me i can do about any thing to a chevy but amc is some what
new to me so iam doing my home work befor i make any hasty desicions

> it may end up that i have to take my time at this and save up some
cash but that would be ok for me its all about the gremlin but i do
want to stay some what economical because iam not made of cash here
(altough the wife thinks so lol)