what do i do

all right gang
got some questions and need some help ive been listening to the debate on here for some time now about keep it amc or some thing else i have also heard people say keep it original insted of turning a 6 to an 8 well what to do i now need to decide because my 258 is on its last leg and needs some help i knew it was weak when i baught but i really wanted the gremlin so i got it anyway
so here are my questions
1.can i make a 258 scream and how if any one out there can tell me so i can have the machine shop build it that would be cool and roughly what would that cost i reallize prices may very but just so i have an idea
2.what would be a guess on how much a basic rebuild would cost and i can add 4 barrel and exhaust and air in take system my self i know how much that stuff costs
3.a v8 304 360 401 is there any others that are amc so when asking around i know what to look for
4. what would be recamended for a transmission with any of those or even for the 258 since mine isnt the best or can i use the auto thats in there if i have it rebuilt
5.and then the rear end in mine is good but is it good for a v8 or a screaming 258
6. with out any one gripping and moaning since i was a chevy man befor i ever got my gremlin i do have a couple sbcs (just keeping my options open)what are some things i would need to know about installing one them cutting? welding? new what ? i dont really want to cut nothing or change a whole lot to the integrity of the vehicle but like i said just checking my options

if any one can help thanks and if these questions sound kinda dumb deal with me i can do about any thing to a chevy but amc is some what new to me so iam doing my home work befor i make any hasty desicions

it may end up that i have to take my time at this and save up some cash but that would be ok for me its all about the gremlin but i do want to stay some what economical because iam not made of cash here (altough the wife thinks so lol)
thanks guys and keep those gremlins going

rj 74 auto 258 soon to be a ???????????

---