Re: [BaadAssGremlins] 77 amx rear axle questions/help

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] 77 amx rear axle questions/help

Which bearings are bad?
Are they the wheel bearings at each end of the axle?
Or the pinion bearing where the driveshaft goes into the axle.
OR the bearings to the ring and pinion in the center of the axle.
I had a junkyard 8.8 Ford rear put in my F150 with seals brakes and everything else from my old one( that stuff had only afew thousand miles on it)    installed at a Ford dealer for about $800. But that is at a dealer.    I think my pinion bearing seized up and took out the ring gear.  I found several teeth in the housing after I took the cover off.
Wheel bearings or pinion bearings should not be that expensive.
The ring and pinion gears would be alot.

Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
850 is probly what it costs. But wow, I bought my ford 9" rear for 100.00 and put it in my gremlin (from a 67 Mustang) also small bodided mopar rear fits.
 Davis

"Dan M." <vegadan@yahoo.com> wrote:
I have a 77 hornet amx with the 258/4 speed. I was told that the rear
axle bearings need to be replaced. My questions are:

1. Is this difficult, or can I do this myself (I'm somewhat of a
novice)?
2. What other rear axles (amc or otherwise) will either directly bolt
in or will bolt in with minimal modification?
3. Does anybody have 1 for sale around the Chicago area?
4. My mechanic says it will be $850 for the parts/labor. I've never
had this done before - is this a reasonable price?

Thanks,
Dan

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. __._,_.___