[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Car Show And Cruise Night Participation

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Car Show And Cruise Night Participation

It is exteremely difficult to start...and maintain....a AMC club, period.
You will have a few core people who enthusiatically do 90% of the work, then
get burned out while others are content to pay dues, sit back and talk about
whatever like kids, sports teams and so forth. Even more difficult is
putting together a successful Regional or National. Been there done that 12X
times and no more.

You see clubs come and go all the time sadly. But the enthusiasm level is
tough to keep up high. And the larger the city/town the harder to get people
to come out, simply because there is too much shit to do, like here in
Houston which never sleeps.

Seems like i just had this same conversation with AJ Grimaldi, who used to
one of the forces behind the Albany, NY meet with now deseased Tim Tracy.
These guys were workhorses and usually underwriting the costs of everything
involved with the show!

While not for everyone, a file on my site called 'amc assholes'
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/stuff/amc_assholes.htm
shows how successful meets can be destroyed by a few. A bigger example would
be Mitchell's old AMC squirrel Clubs now defunct, 1500+ members, successfule
meets but he threw it all away.
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/stuff/good_riddance_amcwc.htm

The big key is to simply get involved and volunteer. You are correct about
the 'big meet' in Kenosha, WI. I can easily tell you of ultra low mile or
museum quality AMC cars, get this, a THREE IRON from Kennedy Park where most
of the huge meets were held, and the owners didn't bring them to the meet.
It is their loss, but mine, and everyone's to not see a example like that
with 7000 original miles in 35+ years on it. To me, this is a example that
other cars shuold be judged against.

One more thing. The AMC highway is littered with good ideas and intentions.
How many of you remember:
Charity AMX(was supposed to be finished last century)
AMC Magazine (with color photos)
AMC Unity Club
AMC Forum.net
AMC Council of Clubs
I could keep going with a shitload of meets and other ideas. Many of them
start out on internet and everyone goes "wow this is best thing since
country gravy!" however actually seeing it come to fruition or
work........shit happens, and never hear from again.

So you have tons of enthusiasm, but when it is time to sing up people to
volunteer for judging, picking up trash, parking cars, selling sodas to
benefit club, ect, people run off like they just saw Casper the Friendly
Ghost.

So support your national clubs, hell, if you want a free application for
AMO, NAMDRA or AIM click on my "links" section then simply print one there.
Go to meets, cruise nights, big or small. Even when AMC was STILL in
business I would find myself the lone r/w/b AMC fan at many cruise nights.
Who gives a rat's ass, I had fun! And FUN is what it should be all about no?
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx