Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Overheating question?

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Overheating question?

Since you are dealing with a 27 year old car with an unknown maintenance
history a change of all the belts, hoses, thermostat and filters would
be advisable. I prefer 180 degree thermostats in my cars. Give the
cooling system a flush like Eddie said too. A few items know one ever
thinks to change is the rubber brake hoses, charcoal canister hoses at
the roll over valve or the rubber fuel hose from the tank to the body. I
found these to be about ready to go on my orange 74 Hornet when I bought
it 2 years ago. I have also changed them on my yellow Hornet over the
years when I swapped the rear, gas tank and did the disc brake
conversion.  Some things when they fail will leave you stranded on the
side of the road and others like using old wheel bearings and old fuel
and brake lines and other unsafe practices from the 50's can destroy
your car and even kill you or an innocent bystander. The law makers in
this country are just looking for excuses to get old cars off the road,
don't give them one more by driving an unsafe car.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- On the Concord AMX with the 258, we let it sit after we changed out the
ignition module and rebuilt the carb. It's been in the cold garage. I
started it up to let it recharge the battery and keep the engine good.
Temps have been about 0 degrees F here lately.

I came back out about 10 minutes later and the coolant hose was just
spraying out antifreeze like crazy. The engine didn't seem to be that
hot. I was planning to change the thermostat to the OEM 195 degree one,
but wanted to ask for input on what may be causing it. We drove that
car back from Ohio to Minnesota in the beginning of November and didn't
have any coolant/cooling issues. Anybody have any ideas?

Ralph

--- End Message ---