Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Posted photos of my 72"Grumpy" (Joe's 72)

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Posted photos of my 72"Grumpy" (Joe's 72)

JOe,
 Definitly your car looks great!
 as for tranny the 904 will take alot more money to make it strong enough behind a stout 401. The 727 would definitly be a better choice if money is an issue.  The headers really aren't an issue. The draw back is that you will have to shorten the driveshaft with the 727. But 727's are a great tranny for the money.
 The advantage to the 904 is that it is lighter, and it has a lower 1st gear. That lower 1st gear can be put in a 727 though. I just can't afford to have a 904 built so I use the 727. I have a stock 727 in the black car and just added a manuel reverse valve body and a hi stall converter.
 Davis

jgray_55 <jgray_55@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
First of all it had a 9" ford rear..VERY EASY swap in...I've even used
the STOCK 904 driveshaft with a simple u-joint swap!The 9" ford
rearend is only 1/4 " narrower overall than the stock Gremlin unit. I
have 14x7 straights(not deepdish) on the front..but i WANT a super
nice pair of 15X4!! Rears are 15X10 DEEP! With only about 4"
backspacing. Kinda amazed me how they actually fit in/under the fender
wells. Tires out back are 275/50/15 BFG radials. Now...if i only had
the rest of my parts to get my 401 finished up.....Oh well...LOOKS
mean..even if it can NOT turn a tire with that posi rear..hahaha!! It
WILL bark em when shifts to 2nd gear turning a corner?? The old 904
shifts REAL GOOD.I have a fellow thats going to buildup my 904 to use
with the 401!!My Super Comp Hooker headers most likely will not clear
a 727....so 904 it is...wish me luck. Joe--- In