Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Digest Number 843

In a message dated 6/25/05 6:57:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, pdgable@xxxxxxx writes:
Davis,
It is possible that you saw 73 cars with the three piece grill but this
doesn't mean they came from the factory that way.I have seen two
Gremlins with early Hornet grills as well but I am pretty positive they
did not come from the factory that way. As you know--being pretty
knowledgeable about Gremlins--the 74 Redesign had several minor changes
including huge ugly bumpers with no plastic filler panel between the
car and the bumper, different indentations on the rear quarter
panels(from horizontal to diagonal) 100mph speedos instead of 120mph,
moving the license plate from below the bumper to below the fuel filler
and the aforementioned grills. There were also some 74s which had the
push button latch for the rear hatch instead of the lever.   I put
AFAIK in my other posting because when it comes to AMC, there is no way
that you can say something is "certain" If they ran out of a part they
would just grab a part from a bin and bolt it on.  Especially in 74
when they actually had an extra long model year(I believe because of
the higher emissions standards and unleaded fuel in 75) Ah, now I'm
rambling. Anyway, I have loads of AMC docs and none mention the
possibility of this grill starting in late '73 but that may mean
nothing.
Peace
Paul
73 was the last year for the one piece grill and the small bumpers,the only difference between the 73's and the 70-72's are the the small bumpers were mounted differently in the back with a extended 'crash'bracket and the front was bolted on a crash absorbing bracket thus the 73 grems have that 'caddy'look where the plastic part on the backs of early 70's DeVilles got brittle and broke off leaving that hidious gap.also you can swap any Gremlin grill from 70-76 exept you can't use a 74-76 grill on a 70-72 gremlin as the front bumper won't clear the lower part of the 74-76 grill but a 73 gremlin due to the crash brakets can and it kinda looks cool.look at the front of Gary The MIX's black flamed 74 Gremlin in his folder as he has a 76 grill with a 73 front bumper and brackets on his.
Bart

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS