[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Jerry's Junkyarding

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Jerry's Junkyarding

Davis, that is not a poor attitude at all. I have done that for years and
sometimes it works, other times do not, can't save them all. But many will
think about it for a moment when you point it out to them that the car is
not a hemi Challenger or a tri powered GTO, it is a Gremlin, Hornet or other
AMC. And the chances of another AMCer coming in to buy anything off it will
be slim to none. I have been stopped walking out the door a few times when
they reconsider and see a possible sale walking away.

Some are hard asses, for instance there was a yeallow 68 AMX in salvage,
complete with 390, AT, loaded, and hit in rear. I tried to buy the whole
car, he said no. That is fine I understand that, some won't relinquish the
Texas salvage title. And you must remember these places could give a rat's
booty whether the car is a one of a kind W30 Olds or a SS/AMX.
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_AMC/images/1975worldofwheelschamp_jpg.jpg

Again, they are in busines to make money, and a majority of them will name a
price if you don't like it, you leave empty handed. I wrote a article a few
years ago that appeared in AMO about some of my experiences with junkyards,
and one in particular called Dewey's here in Houston, long gone now. But
best you can do is try to negotiate and point out to them they won't have
any other interested parties wanting parts off that car and hopefully they
will buy it, otherwise we pay the piper.

Jerry, I believe that retangular trim you mention came on the Levi's
Gremlins from 73-78; first appearing in model year 1973. A check thru a
number of books here clearly shows it.
One of the best web pages around is Bob Wilson's website, with tons of
photos. Here is a color shot of interior from 1973 Gremmie with Levis:
 http://www.arcticboy.com/media/gremlin/leviint73.jpeg

A color interior shot of the Hot Scotch interior (ever seen this? It is WAY
COOL!) but here is same Gremlin retangular door trim in 1977:
http://www.arcticboy.com/media/gremlin/gremseats4.gif

Also from 1977:
http://www.arcticboy.com/media/gremlin/grem77xm_ad.gif
For the record, those Levi's Gremlins Hornets and Concord sport denim like
material, not real denim. And for those of you who might be considering
having your interior redone in this, I have bought rolls of it at hobby
stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby, you can even buy the little Levi's
buttons there. Take this stuff to your auto upholstery fellow and they will
do the rest.
A nice original ad featuring the Gremlin with Levi's, car appears Maxi Blue:
http://www.arcticboy.com/media/gremlin/seatofpants500.jpg
If you can see past the dork here (Rosa somehow removed him, left the gurl!)
this is a press photo off my website showing some of the interiors, and
well, dork boy is blocking the Levis.
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts%20&%20Literature/amc_interiors.jpg

I am not sure if this chrore strip was used in 1972? Good haul on the parts
you got however. If you have a electric screwdriver with a little drill
attachment, get the door tag. I always tell people get the door tag if
possible, someone may need them one day, but if nothing else, it is a little
piece of automotive history anyhows. Good luck
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx