Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Gremlin door panel, other trim - same on X, Levi'

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Gremlin door panel, other trim - same on X, Levi's, GT, etc? options...

Jer,
 I think you gave in too fast and paid him too much
for the stuff you got. I woulda told him that he won't
likely find another gremlin guy looking for parts and
at most he will make the scrap wight money outta the
car. I tell my yards that and let em sit on it for a
day or so then go back with an offer on the parts. If
it gets crushed he will only get the scrap and parts
come up on ebay lots cheaper.
 I know some of you think that is a poor additude but
it works for me and when you have very limited funds
it is also is a major factor.
 You have to remember there are few amc guys and the
yards wanna make more off the cars then just the scrap
weight so if ya make a reasonable offer they usually
cave.
 Davis
--- Jerry <gremlingts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I went to a yard I haven't been to in awhile, in
> Culpeper, VA, and found they had been cleaning up
> some. One of the cars the proprietor had sprayed
> with
> a neon orange " C "  (crusher) was a white Gremlin X
> with Levi's sticker on the fender. I took a look,
> and
> while it was totally decrepit, had a lot of good
> parts
> left. My '78 Gremlin GT has Levi's, too, and it has
> these trim mouldings on the door panels in a big
> rectangular circle ( oxymoron? ), around the center
> Levi material. I was wondering if this trim came on
> any other Gremlin model, or could be ordered, or how
> rare it is. I've only seen it on two so far, both
> Levi's cars, now. The trim was intact, had a remote
> mirror which broke the trim circle on the driver
> door,
> I don't think my GT has a remote mirror. So I
> absconded with the two tattered panels, the AC
> package
> tray, bezels, control panel, sport steering wheel,
> rear tail light lenses, misc. small parts found, and
> also cut off some of the better levi seat buttons on
> the very torn and dry-rotted material left. The rear
> seats are still there, only the driver's seat
> remained
> in front. They are salvageable, possibly, but will
> need recovered, so unless the actual frame of the
> seat
> is different, then I won't bother getting them. The
> driver seat was a thin tall bucket type, had a
> center
> release in the back area...hadn't seen that style
> before. Not sure what year the car was, couldnt'
> read
> the door tag, and the VIN was so covered with dash
> dirt, I didn't spend the time trying, I was trying
> beat the clock, as this yard is only open 1/2 day
> anyway on Saturday.
>   I spent WAY more than I intended, I thought he'd
> be
> somewhat more reasonable, but I wound up paying $250
> for all of it. He knew AMCs, and wasn't coming down
> on
> the prices of the rarer stuff.
>   Another thing I found was the door panel arm
> rests,
> had a stainless steel band around them, haven't seen
> that in a Gremlin, either...Levi's special, X
> option,
> ??? The band is screwed into both sides, then you
> have
> to remove it to get to the two large screws holding
> the arm rest
> to the door. For some reason, I just don't remember
> those.
>   The headliner, of course, I think is uniquely
> Levi's, with that pebbly grainy vinyl look. This one
> was mostly intact, some wear at the sun visor
> corners
> where they hit, possibly recoverable for reuse, but
> not mint. I didn't have time ( nor money, in
> [...]

'Thanks & Giving.'