Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Gremlin door panel, other trim - same on X, Levi'

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Gremlin door panel, other trim - same on X, Levi's, GT, etc? options...

I have the center release seats on my 74X and all my arm rests have the band as do those in Hornets.

Jerry <gremlingts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I went to a yard I haven't been to in awhile, in
Culpeper, VA, and found they had been cleaning up
some. One of the cars the proprietor had sprayed with
a neon orange " C "  (crusher) was a white Gremlin X
with Levi's sticker on the fender. I took a look, and
while it was totally decrepit, had a lot of good parts
left. My '78 Gremlin GT has Levi's, too, and it has
these trim mouldings on the door panels in a big
rectangular circle ( oxymoron? ), around the center
Levi material. I was wondering if this trim came on
any other Gremlin model, or could be ordered, or how
rare it is. I've only seen it on two so far, both
Levi's cars, now. The trim was intact, had a remote
mirror which broke the trim circle on the driver door,
I don't think my GT has a remote mirror. So I
absconded with the two tattered panels, the AC package
tray, bezels, control panel, sport steering wheel,
rear tail light lenses, misc. small parts found, and
also cut off some of the better levi seat buttons on
the very torn and dry-rotted material left. The rear
seats are still there, only the driver's seat remained
in front. They are salvageable, possibly, but will
need recovered, so unless the actual frame of the seat
is different, then I won't bother getting them. The
driver seat was a thin tall bucket type, had a center
release in the back area...hadn't seen that style
before. Not sure what year the car was, couldnt' read
the door tag, and the VIN was so covered with dash
dirt, I didn't spend the time trying, I was trying to
beat the clock, as this yard is only open 1/2 day
anyway on Saturday.
  I spent WAY more than I intended, I thought he'd be
somewhat more reasonable, but I wound up paying $250
for all of it. He knew AMCs, and wasn't coming down on
the prices of the rarer stuff.
  Another thing I found was the door panel arm rests,
had a stainless steel band around them, haven't seen
that in a Gremlin, either...Levi's special, X option,
??? The band is screwed into both sides, then you have
to remove it to get to the two large screws holding the arm rest
to the door. For some reason, I just don't remember
those.
  The headliner, of course, I think is uniquely
Levi's, with that pebbly grainy vinyl look. This one
was mostly intact, some wear at the sun visor corners
where they hit, possibly recoverable for reuse, but
not mint. I didn't have time ( nor money, in
afterthought!) to get it this time. I asked about when
the car might be crushed, Leon said it was technically
"off" inventory, but that he was hoping it would be
stripped naked ( ie, he wants more cash for the parts
left! ). I was hoping he'd discount'em, but no...oh
well. He used to be better at bulk purchases, but I
haven't been in so long, he's forgotten me, I suppose.
Oh well. Anyway, I got alot of useful stuff if I need
to do some upgrades to my Gremlin projects.
  Another thing I left behind was the rocker
mouldings, they were twisted and bent, but might could
use them for a mold on a good section to get all the
bends correct....but I couldn't get the driver side
off, partially buried under the car. They rare enough
to grab anyway? These were wide, about 4 inches, all
stainless, thin.
  Since the car IS scheduled for crushing, I got the
factory trim tag info off the door. Here's the info :

For a white Gremlin X with Levi's

BODY : 001990
MODEL: 7346-5
TRIM : 313W
PAINT: A1-GX
       E001783

That's about it, I'll email a few other related
questions separately.

- Jerry in Virginia -

Do you Yahoo!?