Re: First Real Test Of JB-Weld

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AMC74HORNET@xxxx wrote:
> Last winter I installed billet knobs on the windshield wiper and
> headlight switches along with the turn signal indicator lever, and 4 way
> flasher and column gear shift lever on the orange Hornet. The knobs on
> the wiper & headlight switch always bothered me as they looked to small
> and did not blend into the flair on the inst. panel. I decided the shift
> lever knob was the right size and decided to replace the smaller ones
> with 2 of them. Unfortunately the hole it to big for them to fit so I
> tried making 2 sleeves out of plexiglass. That turned out to be a dismal
> and time consuming failure as they broke when I tried to drill them out
> for the switches shafts. I then plugged up the set screw holes in the
> new knobs and filled the shaft holes with JB-Weld and baked them over
> night in my dehydrator to cure the JB-Weld to the max. Today I will try
> to drill out the JB to the size of the switch shafts and also tap the
> holes in the JB for the set screws. Everybody thought the knobs on the
> dash were fine, but to me they were just a little off. You all know what
> a pain I am about things being just right.
> "Doc"

The JB-Weld worked fine for makeing the knobs fit the smaller shaft diameter of the switches after I drilled them out to the switch shaft size. I then drilled out the set screw hole and now the knobs fit perfectly and lock down with the set screws. Too bad I didn't think of this method sooner, I could have saved mysef 3 hours worth of unnecessary work. I'll install them later when I go out to have the Delco alternator istalled. I can't wait to get rid of the !@#$%^& Motorola.
"Doc"