Re: [BaadAssGremlins] 83 Concord problems: A little rust and rear wheel

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] 83 Concord problems: A little rust and rear wheel cylinders

Sounds like that odd ball cars is a bunch of crap to me. First of all I
never deal unless absloutely necessary with chain auto parts stores. I
was a professional auto & truck mechanic for over 30 years. I bought
new rear wheel cyl's for 12$ a piece for a 79 Concord 4 door rear I put
in my 74 Hornet a few years ago. At that price it wasen't worth the
price and the time for me to put wheel cyl rebuilding kits in. If you
want I have to go to my local non chain auto parts store tomorrow
afternoon to check on some front end parts for both of my 74 Hornets and
I will check brand, parts no# and availibility. E-Mail me off list wth
the particulars, 6 Cyl, PB, PS. Auto, A/C. and I will see if I can help.
As far as the rust in the roof it takes less work to repair the rust and
have a new vinal top installed than to fix it and just paint it. Sounds
like your T-Bird friend dosen't know what he is talkig about and trying
to get some extra money for the repairs. The metal repair work dosent
have to be perfect to put a new vinal top on if just done right. If you
leave the vinal top off and paint the roof every little imperfection in
the body work will show up like a sore thumb unless perfect. Oh I ran a
body shop for 3 years also in that 30 years and did ground up
restoration projects too at the time.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- Houdy folks.
I was going over the Concord and found some serious rust
beneath the vinyl roof under the "opera" windows. I knew it was a
problem but had no idea it was rusted this bad. The rest on the body
is in nice shape. I know a fellow that restores old cars.(you should
see his 55 T bird) He told me I should get rid of the vinyl top. I
kinda hate to do this but... Did the Vinyl top come standard on the
Concord DL?
Also. I would like to replace the rear wheel cylinders.
The guy at the parts store in Loudonville wanted $50 each for them.
He told me parts for <oddball> cars were expensive. Cheapest ones I
could find were around $35 at Advance auto parts. Anyone know where I
can
find these parts for less money? If it had been a station wagon, I
could get em for $10. I don't want to sound cheap. But I just
financed a House. The garage alone was worth it. (A new home for
unwanted AMCs) And money is gonna be tight for the next few
months. It's a great running car and I plan on keeping it for a long
time. By The Way. Anyone know the production figures for the 78 to 83
Concords?  All my best

Jeff. Perrysville, Ohio

--- End Message ---