Re: Pacer brakes fit 74 gremlin?

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxx> wrote:
> Yes, the Pacer was well ahead of it's time and now a slew of vehicles ont he
> road have copied it's bodystyle from Toyota, Lexus, GM, Ford, everything
> looks like fat Pacers. Next time you see a butt end of a Lexus SUV, or
> Infinity SUV, look at the lines of it, take off the emblems and it could
> pass for a 2004 Pacer wagon. The Mercedes E series stole, literally, the
> front look off the 78-80 Pacer. Someone here find me a front shot of a 78-80
> Pacer and a 98-up Mercedes E series and compare them, it is striking. And
> Mercedes touted it was 'a bold new design' Bold new design my ass, but I
> guess since we are, uh, 'related' to Mercedes via Chrysler via AMC, that is
> ok.
>
> Some of the slogans too chap my butt, a few years ago Honda was using 'built
> for the human race' which AMC was using in 64-65 (very similiar!); Suburu
> was using more recently 'the beauty of all whell drive' stolen from the 80
> Eagle 'the beauty of four wheel drive'; and Pontiac was using 'wider is
> better' no, not talking about my ex wife, but AMC used a almost identical
> slogan in 1974-75 to intro the Pacer! amazing how some of these high paid
> goons sitting around getting paid to come of with slogans simply go diggin
> in old AMC literature I guess.
>
> As for the front end, what is mostly desirable is the rack and pinion of the
> Pacer, hot rodders love them. I have sold 3 pacers to people to butcher only
> for the rack and pinions. Granted, I got tired of running ads and no one
> wanted a Pacer, like that yellow 76 X in 1998 for $250, or the gold 79 in
> 1999 for $450. Ads ran for months locally and nationally, and all I did was
> put together a list of people who called wanting the front end, and not the
> rest. One guy beat my own deadline by 2 days, as I had a little yellow Pacer
> in my garage with blown 258, but it had tons of new stuff like exhaust,
> tach, waterpump, carpet, and I kept the $1400 of new rims/tires on it
> however, that is all I wanted. But I tried to sell this thing for months
> and had to move it and set a deadline to have it towed to the scrapyard.
> Complete. And this fellow saw my ad and called and I told him come by, he
> came by with truck and gave me $150 for it, hauled the compelte car to
> Hempstead, TX, and promptly yanked off the R&P for his 50 Ford Truck. But I
> get calls all the time from rodders wanting Pacer rack and pinions, I'm told
> it is the best out there.
> Sadly, on the other hand the R&P might be more desirable thant the whole
> car, at least a few Pacers mentioned above!
>
> I also wish to comment that in my humble opinion, there are only two cars
> AMC produced that people remember. Pacer & Gremlin. Yes, some goons add
> those to their 'most ugly lists' but again, they never would dare add ANY of
> those newer models mentioned above that stole AMC design lines to their most
> ugly lists, imagine advertisers bailing out right and left......
> [...]

Well Eddie can you use the disc setup off the front of a Pacer on a Gremlin or a Hornet? I heard in the past that the 74 Gremlin was on the list of worst made cars but the Hornet wasen't. How could that be as they were made with the same parts. And talk about ugly, just look what the big 2 and Heir Mopar are offering in the way of cars today. I concidered buying a PT Cruiser as I liked the retro look of it but couldn't get my fat old butt in it. There is nothing like slideing into one of my comfortable Hornets for me. Although the yellow onw with bucket seats is more comfortable than the new one with the bench seat. Hopefully the bucket seat problem will be solved soon.
"Doc"