Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Hornet/Gremlin Spare Tire Question

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Hornet/Gremlin Spare Tire Question

Here is another letter from my drafts file not sure whether sent or not:

Doc wrote:
> I sold the unused space saver from my yellow Hornet for 10$ with the
bottle in 1979. We all have done similar stupid things at one time or
another. I undersand the bottles are still available from Datsun I think.
> "Doc"

Yes, the red tire inflator bottles that were used on many Datsun models int
he 80s look almost identical to the red AMC ones, just add the sticker of
which I usually stock, but am out of, but other vendors also stock the
decal. You can pick up these at swap meets.

Spacesaver spares: A number of AMC models came with these spares, made by B.
F. Goodrich. The rims were usually orange and sloppily painted, every one
that I have ever had the paint behind it is run city. C, D, E 78X14 were
usually used for the Grem/Horn Series. I do not know however what determined
whether a Gremlin, or Hornet, got a Spacesaver. Doc mentions the hidden lift
up compartment on Hornet hatchbacks, which was a option.
It would be my guess that if the car didn't have this, it would get a full
sized spare with cover, such as the Hornet AMXs did.

As for Gremlins, I have seen both. A funny story is that the dealership
where my dad worked, All American Motors in Corpus Christi, TX used to have
new Gremlin owners come back claiming their Gremlin was bouncy at over 70mph
and the dealership would ask them to leave the car, andeither give them a
loaner AMC or courtesy ride to wherever they needed to go, home or work. The
cars were always ready either that afternoon, or early next day.

I would later find out this was commonplace, but this dealership would get a
50 lb bag of cement and place it behind the seat, add a spacesaver spare,
air bottle,
and recover the area with carpet of that model's color, the spacesaver would
be
covered with a vinyl tire cover, real neat, I had about 8 of these NOS I
sold on ebay
last year for $30 each. All out now. But after the back area was done, it
looked really
nice covered up spare, my dad used to joke that the only time the owners
would ever
notice is when the car got a flat and would have to lift up the carpet to
see Don Knotts
face on the big bag of ACME Cement. But no one ever complained. Later, AMC
would
also offer the roof spoiler as seen on this Mexican VAM built 75 Gremlin.
But the
spoiler was no match for Don Knotts and ACME which held the cars down better
at higher
speeds!

Lastly, some of you know Ross Guistino of the Northern California AMC Club
near
San Fran, he bought my 75 Gremlin X, 258-6, 4spd, AC, PS, PDB, for $1500 a
few years ago and flew in and drove it home. That is about 1500 miles folks.
The
original owner I bought the car from she looked like George Burns without
the cigar.
Very sweet, the car's name was "Greta The Gremlin" well, when I went to look
at the
car I could not stop laughing, as in the back was a bag of Don Knott's ACME
Cement
that was a BRICK as the Houston humidity had gotten to it for many years. I
asked her
how long had that been back there and she indicated since 1981!!! And she
said Archer
AMC had put it back there for her! So I had a NOS AMC Brick I guess. I left
it in the
car for Ross and he drove it out to California with brick still in it.
See ya'll,
Eddi eStakes'
Planet Houston AMX
www.planethoustonamx.com
=============================
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ
Hi and thanks for writing. Please note if you wrote/emailed me in February
and did not get a reply I had computer problems and all those letters and
requests were lost. OVER 100 OF THEM. I am still restoring files and photos,
but again, please
be patient, adn I just reconfigured my email setup again today as it is
complex having the eddiestakes@xxxx email address as it gets
rerouted and is not direct, but had 218 emails wating for me today,
(February 29th) so it
will take some time to get to them.