The engine is in update

yesterday,
I grabbed my engine crane and headed over to Bill's. We loaded my
360 into his truck and secured it down. made it over to my house.
I had to get wheels on the gremlin and lower it back to the ground.
I got the front wheels on. the back took me 5 wheels befor I came up
with 2 that would hold air. Lowered the car onto the rear suspension
for the first time. Looks good. Lowered the front.
Bill looks at me and says " You gotta clean this engine compartment"
( this after I had already cleaned it 4 times with rags and cleaner)
I handed him a bottle of greased lightning and said go for it. He
soaked the heck outta it. Then he hosed it off. Looks nice.
Drag the engine crane over and after some discussion a plan is
hatched. We pull the engine crane close to the gremlin then back up
the truck. Lift the engine off and take the truck away.
swing the engine over and bang the crane into the top of the garage
doorway.... Lower it some, swing it in, then raise some. Engine
clears the roof and the top of the front of the car. Now with the
engine hanging over its final destination... we remember " Headers!"
so we set the super comps in the bay and start to lower. We wiggle,
pull, push twist, not going with the headers dangling in their spot,
we pull the headers out. Lower the engien again. More pulling,
pushing, swearing, twisting, close to the mounting holes
but .......the @(*&^%&*&^#**&% hoist chain is hitting the firewall
and keeping the engine from going back. Lower the engine and find a
better place for the lift chain.
Wala! drivers side drops in. Pass side will not go. I end up taking
the mount off the engine and loosly bolting it to the cross member
then we lower the engine and it lines up! with some more pulling,
pushing, twisting, grunting, and swearing we get the 3 bolts into the
block! lower engine completely. PHEW!
Now for the headers. I jack the front of the car wayyyyyyy up. Set
the jack stands. And try the super comps on the DS. No way the
steering collum is in the way. SO on to plan B the Headmans.
The smaller headmans slip right up in! NOw they won't bolt on cause
they are hitting the head bolts. %(*&%(&&^%()(*^%$!
So I take them to the vice and clearence them with my die grinder
and a mill.( The reason I had to do this is I have ARP head bolts
which are taller then stock) Now they fit like a glove and bolt on
with ease.
NOw to put the Tranny in. Pull out the flex plate and the converter.
Try to lign up the holes. found the ones that line up except this FP
has bee beat on and the holes are ovaled and don't quite line up. I
decide a new FP is the only way to go. So I call Advance Auto. 40.17
and can have it next day.
So on to other projects.
It is late and time to go in. So the engine is in and the headers
are bolted on. A big step.
If you read all this .....Thanks for hangin in there with me!
NOw to post some pics. Hey Lu I finally got one with ME in it :o)>
Davis