Re: Gremlin 2-seater, 4-seater..

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <eddiestakes@xxxx> wrote:
> Base price for the little 70 Gremlin 2 seater was a whopping $1879 stripped
> according to several dealer order forms. But many dealerships advertised it
> as $1999 just to get it under that proverbial $2000 mark. I had two big
> twelve foot original banners I sold last year, both were rather tired and
> missing some pieces after 30+ years, they were plastic, still had the
> Gremlin 'man' face on them, very colorful, hippie looking things, these both
> hung in a dealership window when new, advertising the Gremlin for a whopping
> $1998.00; not $1999.00! A buck is a buck.
>
> Jerry has a valid point the idea was to lure you into the dealership, then
> 'sell you from stock' whatever they had, or get you to option out and order
> a vehicle. That much is historical fact reflected in many literature and
> dealer salesmans training films! Worked well too. Some models sold better
> than others however, and the Gremlin, and more over the Hornet were both
> well received by media and customers and ended up being two of the best
> selling models AMC would ever produce.
> Eddie Stakes'
> Planet Houston aMX
> www.planethoustonamx.com

In the 70's I only remember AMC advertizing 2 cars on TV and that was the What's a Matador and the new 73 Hornet Hatchback comercials. I think more TV advertizing would have made for better sales. I agree that the Hornet's and Gremlins were the backbone of the company from 1970 till it's demise when Lee ( I now make salad dressing) Iacoca bought them.
"Doc"