Re: $100 motor mounts ? the steel mounts or rubber?

Re: $100 motor mounts ? the steel mounts or rubber?

 I can see the steel ones being gold plated, but I
just bought the Gremlin rubber V-8 mounts thru
www.RockAuto.com for about $18 each, or pair, I
forget. The rubber is easier to find, the steel motor
mount BRACKETS are what are hard to find ( small
AMC/specific, I think ). You need to either buy used
or get them fabricated, either way finding them is a
pain, as they're dealer-only items, not normal auto
parts, so you can't get them anymore new except NOS at
swap meets.
I paid $275 for a Gremlin V-8 crossmember last year
that had been bead blasted, painted, with used rubbers
and steel plates. I had seen it there the year before,
and didn't have the money, but decided as he had the
WHOLE setup, it was worth the investment... and you
think it's hard to bite the bullet and pay that, when
whole cars are going for that? Sure, but NOT V-8
Gremlin cars! When's the last time you heard of a V-8
Gremlin car sold for under $300 ? Well, I did...my
friend Jay in PA bought one last year, the lucky dog,
for $100. PBBBT! It was sitting in a guy's yard, the
guy also had a Spirit Sedan ( Gremlin look-alike ), as
well.
Anyway, you may as well get used to the idea that
since AMC made different Xmembers and mounts for their
V-8 small cars, and they're getting scarcer all the
time, you either fabricate, or bite the dog ( er,
bullet ) and spend what it takes to get a rare
X=-member to do the job. Supply and demand. Or, keep
looking for a 67-69 Rambler American with V-8, or
Hornet or Gremlin. Good luck! You'll need it.

Jerry in Virginia ( with one V-8 member restored, and
a V-8 SPirit parts car as a second donor..)