Re: 360 in Gremlin manafold problems

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Plumpy72@xxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 1/24/2004 11:37:48 AM Central Standard Time,
> cs10@xxxx writes:
>
> > i am putting a 1988 jeep amc 360 in a 1971 gremlin the motor is in but
> > today i went to put the exhaust manafolds on and it his the frame. i
> > have a set that would fit but there rectangular port not dog leg. The
> > ones with rectangular port also dont have emissions b.s. any one have
> > any ideas?
> >

> Sounds to me like you may have a set of free flow exhaust manifolds. There is
> no clearance on the drivers side because the manifold was originally designed
> for the full size engine compartment. The V8 manifold for the Gremlin is mush
> different and is not a free flow. I have a set on my '72 but I had to modify
> the strut rod bracket for them to fit.
>
> I notched the bracket so the flange bolt boss on the side of the manifold
> would have room. I decided on using these manifolds instead of headers. With the
> 2 1/4" flanges, the engine breaths just fine and I don't have to worry about
> proper ground clearance needed for headers.
>
> Rick

I thought it was the pass side that had the clearance problem since that one exits at the very rear. I have seen a Hornet with the free flows at a show and my friend put a 360 from a Jeep with free flows in his Spirit and he didn't mention a clearance problem. I have a set in my garage I will have to look at. One of the venders on the AMX files told me that you needed a pass side Machine manifold, this was before I saw the Hornet and my friends Spirit. When I told the vender about what I saw he gave me a bunch of mumbo jumbo double talk.
"Doc"