Re: Disc Brake Question

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, twa1950@xxxx wrote:
> My 78 came with disc brakes without the power unit as well as my old 77.
> While you can tell the difference between them and power brakes they are not that
> hard to push a lot easier than non power drum brakes. As for as changing from
> drums to disc. I would think it would all depend on what you are doing with
> your car. If you are going to the trouble of putting a hot engine in your car
> and are going to put it through it's paces. I would go ahead and change them
> out. They have less fade and generally are better at stopping. If you are
> leaving the original engine in your car and only plan on summer drives and going to
> local car shows I don't think I would go to the trouble or expense of doing
> it. I think for the first 18 years of driving all I had were drum breaks and I
> don't remember having much trouble with them. The biggest thing I remember was
> the fact if you went through water you needed to ride them for a little while
> or you might not have any breaks when you tried to stop the first time. I
> think what I am trying to say if you want to change them that is great they are
> better. But for you guys who have drums and are happy with them don't lose any
> sleep over it. Spend your money and time on all the other things you want.
> Just my 2 cents worth
> Terry

Call me spoiled but I'll take the power brakes. I drove my friends 79 Concord which has no power disc brakes and I'll take the power any day. I later parted out and cut up this car for him. I am going to use the disc's from this car on my yellow Hornet. Another reason for changeing to later disc's is parts availbility like if you need a drum. I am not sure but I think 70 was the last year for the old style disc's and sometime in the mid to late 70's another style of disc brakes were used. My new 74 has the same disc brake setup as my son's 72 Javelin. The disc setup I got out of the 79 Concord is different.
"Doc"