Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Disc Brake Question

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Disc Brake Question

At 108 mph the drums are scarry to say the least. If you are switching to disk because you are building a drag car, use a spirit setup. It's lighter and works well.
 As for drums.......you say to keep em if your not addin a hot motor, then you say they don't stop you if they get wet?  ONE TIME would be enough to make me switch(if you survive).
 I would definitly make the swap no matter. Are there any new cars that come with front drums ?
 Davis

twa1950@xxxx wrote:
My 78 came with disc brakes without the power unit as well as my old 77. While you can tell the difference between them and power brakes they are not that hard to push a lot easier than non power drum brakes.  As for as changing from drums to disc. I would think it would all depend on what you are doing with your car. If you are going to the trouble of putting a hot engine in your car and are going to put it through it's paces. I would go ahead and change them out. They have less fade and generally are better at stopping.  If you are leaving the original engine in your car and only plan on summer drives and going to local car shows I don't think I would go to the trouble or expense of doing it. I think for the first 18 years of driving all I had were drum breaks and I don't remember having much trouble with them. The biggest thing I remember was the fact if you went through water you needed to ride them for a little while or you might not have any breaks when you tried to stop the first time. I think what I am trying to say if you want to change them that is great they are better. But for you guys who have drums and are happy with them don't lose any sleep over it. Spend your money and time on all the other things you want.
Just my 2 cents worth
Terry