Re: -20 Below Zero Here This Morning

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Plumpy72@xxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 1/10/2004 4:54:48 AM Central Standard Time,
> amc74hornet@xxxx writes:
>
> > With the wind chill it is 20 below zero here this morning. I sure ain't
> > going nowhere for a few days.
>
> Temp was at freezing this morning but has warmed. It is absolutely beautiful.
>
> Spent some time in the garage already. I picked up a packet of Plastic Wled
> from the parts house this morning. The package tray for the Gremlin had a good
> size crack, just above the screw holes where it bolt's to the passenger side
> kick panel.
>
> I cleaned the area up with 80 grit sandpaper and cut a chunk out of a broken
> A/C package tray. After some trimming, filing and sanding it fit the area to
> be repaired. I mixed a small amount of the Plastic Weld on a carboard box and
> spread some on the repair piece making sure to have plenty of the mixture to
> allow for a good bond. Once I pushed it into place on the underside of the
> package tray, I secured it with two spring clamps.
>
> While it was curing, I went outside and used some OSPHO to clean rust from
> the e-brake foot pedal assembly and the package tray mounting brackets. I
> sprayed the rusted parts with the OSPHO then scrubbed the rust off with a small wire
> brush. Sometimes it take a while, depending on the amout of rust to be
> removed but when I'm done the metal looks like new. I should be able to spray paint
> the parts tomorrow.
>
> After I finished the rust removal, I went back in the garage to look at the
> repaired package tray. The repair is super strong and I don't think I'll ever
> have worry about it again.
>
> Doc, thanks for the suggestion on the Plastic Weld.
>
> Ya'll have a good weekend.
>
> Rick

Glad the Plastic Welding System worked for you. I swear by the stuff. One thing I would do that I have done on my other Hornet is make a small sheet metal strip to back up the package tray flange with the holes drilled into it for the screws. Use the Plastic weld to glue it to the package try flange on the screw head side. It will make a nice stress free joint between the screws, package tray flange the kick panel and the body when you screw everything together. I will do this on my package tray when it is time to refinish it on my list of interior parts to be done for the new new Hornet's interior. It has some cracks on the mounting flange but is otherwise in good shape other than needing a color change.
"Doc"