Re: Should I save it.

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "amc74hornet" <AMC74HORNET@xxxx> wrote:
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Terry" <twa1950@xxxx> wrote:
> > I found a 78 Concour for $350. Body is is in great shape except the
> > top of both front fenders are rusted. No other rust on the car.
> > Interior good except seats need to be recovered. Four new tires with
> > the custom AMC wheels. Has a 258 in it. Runs good but smoked when
> > started and a the valves are ticking. I figure a head job. I was very
> > interested untill I heard it run. My son wants it but I don't know.
> > Wonder if you could find the fenders and their cost and wonder what a
> > head job would cost. What do you guys think?
> > Terry
>
> I believe the 78 fenders are the same as the Spirit & Eagles and shouldn't be hard to find. Probably a decent set would go for maybe 150-200$ depending where you are and if you can make a deal. I don't know the current price of a valve job but you should be able to get a quote from your local auto shop. Also plan on replaceing the lifters and possibly the camshaft and timeing chain & gears.
> "Doc"

My mistake 78 fenders look like they are the same as the later ones but only fit the single headlight 78 cars. It's all in the sheetmetal to mount the headlight and grill otherwise they are the same. You can remove the 78 headlight/grill mounts and put them in a 79 and later fenders with a little drilling out of the spot welds and rewelding in the right ones or pop riveting them in. Also 78 was the last year for the chrome steel bumpers. The rear is the same as the Hornet's and looks like it will fit a Gremlin. The fron't bumper is a one year only chrome bumper.
"Doc"