[BaadAssGremlins] Here's one for you Doc...from Eddie

Posted with Eddie's permission:
----- Original Message -----
From: <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2004 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: Collectibles & Limited Edition Prints Question <long!>

> Hi Doc, how are the ribs? Therer are several reasons why artists
limit their prints to a certain number. First off, the AMC question.
Will he be able to sell all 100 prints? I believe he will, but it
will take him several years.
> This is that Rambler Mentality thing I bark about from time to
time.
> Everyone says "this is awesome, I'm going to buy several!" but the
longest trip some of those AMC cheerleaders ever make is their hand
to pocket to get wallet. In other words, all talk. This is not
uncommon in anything  however, whether collecting trains,s tamps and
other toys.

> Now for the 100 prints. The reason it is limited to 100 prints is
simply a incentive for them to sell. This eliminates the RM crowd,
as they suddenly to buy now or lose out. Same with GM, Mopar,
whoever. There is a bigger market for those makes. However! If the
artist, or license holder runs out of the initial "run" well, they
can make another "run". But this does NOT always happen I assure you
and many times, when a limited run item is gone, IT IS GONE FOREVER.

> We see books for instance, let's take the former prez who likes
buttiro eating fat chicks, not that there is anything wrong with
burrito eating fat chicks, I would rather have a girl that can hold
her own against me one on one in a buffet than a girl that is so
skinny she only has one side like Olive Oly. Why did Popeye and
Bluto fight over that? But the former prez Clinton's book sold out
of it's initial "run". So the publisher made a second "run". And
that sold out. Each "run" is marked, such as "first printing" of
which is more valuable than 2nd, 3rd, or however many they print.
There is no guarantee, even if demand appears to be there, that
another "run" of anything will be done.

> This goes for AMC parts. I have a 2 year wait for 68-69 red, rear
> reflector lenses for AMX and Javelin. No one has them. I used to
sell mine for $75, and could get $300 for one right now. But no one
has them. Feel free to call around if you want.
> And to the third part of your question. You see this happening
with model cars. This could be applied to just about EVERY AMC
miniature Johnny Lightning/Playing Mantis, or Corgi Toys, or Hot
Wheels has made. It insures that the things hopefully will sell. And
yes, the collectors pick them up first....and quickly. Some go for
MORE than originally intended. You can look at real cars for
examples of this like the Chevy SSR trucks, or many PT cruisers or
even some Mercury Maureders. And yes, many of these get shoved in
garages, warehouses, and tires taken off, and car put on blocks with
zero-10 miles, only to possibly be brought out years from now and
sold at a profit. It is speculation, nothing more, some appreciate,
others take a loss. Same with models.

> I have models I would love to build but can't, I simply don't have
time to. But have many original AMT, Testors, Jo-Han, Revell 68-74
AMXs, Trans Am Javelins, Machines, Javelins, Ambassadors, and even a
few Rebels. How many of you have a Grant Rebel funny car in package?
It's worth $300-$500. For $500 you can buy my 74 Hornet Sportabout.
But to a serious collector, to hell with the hornet, they want that
damned model. Same with that NOS 70 Javelin grill I found in my
warheouse. I didn't know what it may be worth so called a number of
vendors on my own vendors list for advise, most said $1000-$1300. So
I put a ad out ther for $1000/low end. I didn't have any six
cylinder Javelin owners call, no 304 or 360 Javelin owners call, nor
did I have any Donohue owners call. The three callers all owned
$30K+ 70 Trans Am Javelins, and the first guy in Ohio next day aired
me the $1K + $30-$40 for shipping with mandatory insurance.

> So in a nutshell, it is supply and demand. I would believe the
limited anything would first be a attempt to insure that it sells
out, and those who bought one will know that it is a investment, to
appreciate in value. Same with some cars, and other collectibles. It
you flood the market with them, anything, you run the risk of not
selling out and people can have a lot of apathy about it, thinking
it will always be there when they are ready to buy one. This works
on some things, others, it fails. Speaking of collectibles, the Ed
Shaver Hot wheel car here is worth about $2000-$2500. The most I
personally know of a Hot Wheel selling was a Volkswagen Beach Bomb in
Magenta, for $75,000. Got milk?
> Eddie Stakes'
> Planet Houston AMX
> 713.464.8825