[BaadAssGremlins] Re: parts, cannibalism, door tags, ect....(was Hornet

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: parts, cannibalism, door tags, ect....(was Hornet X on ebay)

What John mentions below is covered heavily on my website, it is the '70 AMX
theory' whereas the sum of parts is worth more than the car whole sometimes,
many times. A case in point is the fellow a few months ago who bought three
rustfree 68-69 AMXs up in the pacific northwest, for $1500. That is $500 per
car.
Hoods $900-$1200
1/4 panels $750-$1350 per side
fenders $250/cheap-$400/high
door glass $250-$350 per side
windshields $100/cheap-$400/high (depending on date coded)
trunklids $150
Go Pack gauges $150/cheap-$300/high
Ya'll quickly see where this is going, suddenly someone has 5X-8X+ his
original 'investment' never caring about possibly selling the car whole for
$1500 to those wishing for a chance at a rare, rustfree, almost 40 year old
obsolete vehicle. The $$$ kicks in high gear.

I can't speak for Hornets, as they share a lot more parts between 70-88
Gre/Hor/Conc/Spir/Eagl Series than do the 68-74 Jav/AMX Series. However,
there is less repro stuff available for the 70-88 series than for the 68-74
series. And both are equally opportunity to salvage and junkyards where
sadly, the well has run dry due to either shitty enviromental regulations
or.........lack of INTEREST. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and go "me
too!" or "wow! I'll buy that!" or "I *would have* given twice that amount in
a heartbeat!" But like the car folk who approach you at a convience store,
or cruise night and say "if you ever want to sell that vehicle, give me a
call!!" nowhere to be found and couldn't afford bubble gum if free. Beyond
cynical as I drag up my 294th AMC (no one wanted it, headed to the crusher,
loaded with great salvagable parts hopefully SOMEONE needs out there) it is
extremely frustrating sometimes, no, all the time, to see crap like this day
in and out.

When you look at your AMC (insert model here) a majority of what you see
will never be made again. From the whole stamping of sheetmetal, to glass,
stainless, soft/hard interior moldings, chrome, grills and tailights, rims,
I can keep going but my point is made. You can read more under 'altered
amcs' on my website under 'parts' file.

This is not to discourage anyone from attempting to buy, and fix up AMC. But
every day that passes, the clock keeps ticking, and that sand keeps dropping
in the hourglass, Holy Batmember Batman! I can hear that festering boil in
tights Robin yell as the Penguin laughs hysterically in the background.
Batman! When the sand in the giant hourglass is out, we have reached zero
hour and there are no parts cars or salvagable parts left. So the
cannibalism is rampant, but it always has been with AMC.

I could tell a story about a brand new 68 Ambassador SST my dad was
broadsided in on his way to deliver it, the lady ran off who hit him, the
Ambassador rolled over twice but dad was beat up but ok. The Ambassador was
towed back to the dealership, All American Motors, in Corpus Christi, TX,
where after adjusters left, it was cannibalized by the dealership, nothing
was left, wiring harness, rear end, even 1/4 panel (on good side) was
surgically removed at factory seams. So the dealership got the insurance and
also a massive parts bonanza....on a car that had less than 100 miles on it.

Anyhows, some of the stuff John mentions below is penny ante and can't give
away. Other items he mentions on the ebay Hornet are in demand. It's up to
those who may need the items to not RM out, or to do without. I may add that
a title for a AMX, with VIN can fetch up to $500. Also a door tag. I have
someone who emails me once a year, but more so in the last several months
wanting to to pay $600 for a 69 AMX Big Bad Green with tan interior door tag
in good shape. I told him only 286 BBG AMXs made in 69, and my estimate is
that 30 exist. If that. I also mentioned to him that you can buy new door
tags, correct reverse stamped, from Data Tags on my vendors list.
http://www.datatags.com/
Not cheap....but the next time some of you are walking around a AMC
National, and are drooling or salivating over some of the showcars,
especially the high dollar concourse ones, look at the door tags. Good
chance this is where it came from!

Sorry for long post, got 169 more emails to get to.
Eddie Stakes
www.planethoustonamx.com
*Volume of email is HEAVY.
Reply times currently