Re: [AMC-list] Remove flexplate from '68 232 w/ automatic

I use vise grips over the teeth and onto the plate or a breaker bar on the crank bolt. I pull the wrench so more force is on the bolt than turning the flywheel. (leveraged with the bolt almost past the converter opening and getting as close to the centerline as possible)

From: Bruce Griffis
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family"
Subject: [AMC-list] Remove flexplate from '68 232 w/ automatic

cross-posted on theamcforum:
I started working on my engine swap. I pulled the automatic off the
232. No problems. I removed the bellhousing. I'm trying to remove the
flexplate but running into issues. When I try to turn the 9/16" bolts,
the who flexplate revolves. Should I brace a screwdriver between some
teeth to hold it still? Any tricks? If compression is good, should the
flexplate turn as I try to remove the bolts?

Any hints and tricks? Or just hit all the bolts with penetrating oil,
brace against the teeth (I'm not re-using the flexplate, I'm swapping
to manual) and use a big ol' wrench?