Re: [AMC-list] AMC Bendix disk brakes - waddaya need to swap 'em?

Re: [AMC-list] AMC Bendix disk brakes - waddaya need to swap 'em?

" Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:27:15 -0400
" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" []
" You could use drum spindles, but may have to cut them down (must be
" even, so machine shop time!) or use spacers (grade 8 washers are fine)
" to properly center the caliper. As long as you are using the small
" Bendix (79-81 Concord/Spirit 2.6" piston caliper) setup the rotor
" bearings will fit the drum spindles -- this I know from experience. I
" tried my drum spindle (63 Classic six) on the 79 rotors I use and they
" fit perfectly. Didn't mount them or compare mounting boss thickness
" though.

amc used bigger bearings '75-8 but afaik ALL OTHER disk and drum
spindles share the same sets.  nb. '77-8 small cars will have the
small bendix calipers and brackets but the orphan big bearing spindles
and rotors.  if your drum spindles could be made to work you could
just get '79-'83 rotors.

btw i've seen drum spindles with thin flanges and with thick flanges.
i've always thought the thick ones were to match the thin flange +
caliper bracket thickness in the early '70s.

" I'd go with the Scarebird setup mainly due to parts availability in the
" future.

dave's '00 mustang assemblage is coming up fast on the outside...

" ---------
" Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 17:17:19 -0400
" From: Bruce Griffis<bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Thinking of going to disk brakes on the American. I saw someone that
" has AMC disk brakes. Rotors, calipers - but no spindles. If I want to
" go disk brakes on the American, what all would I need to grab?
"
" Trying to decide between Bendix disks from a '71 Javelin versus going
" with the scarebird kit and applying my son's GM parts discount for
" rotors, calipers and stuff.