-----------------
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 07:44:25 -0400
From: "Dan Strohl"<DStrohl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

So I'm pretty well convinced that drop plates are the way to go to get
the front end of my Spirit AMX lower, and I read up on them on the
forum. I'm still measuring, but I think I'll end up with a total drop in
the range of 1-3/4 inch to 2 inches. Is 1/2-inch thick steel plate
strong enough for this purpose? Is there a maximum drop these plates are
good for? And will the installation of the plates require a re-alignment
afterward?

thanks,
dan

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:04:32 +0000 (UTC)
From: markprice242<wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>

1 5/8" is what I ended up with on mine and they are not 1/2" thick, more like 3/8".
I just looked on this computer and have not found the details.

Here are two links to the photobucket pictures and I have the spec sheet on the plates.

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/Wrambler_242/?action=view&current=drop_plate.jpg

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/Wrambler_242/?action=view&current=DSCF0004.jpg

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/Wrambler_242/?action=view&current=DSCF0005.jpg

These plates are the original pair made from the spec sheet and have been on the car for probably 10 years now. No sign of deflection, though thicker is better.

If you try for more drop you have to some serious tweaking as the lower hole gets to close to the upper hole. You can see how I had to grind the heads on the lower grade 8 bolts to come from the back out.
To get it lower you either need to work out studs or move the lower bolts on the spindles to the top bolts on the knuckle/upright,; in that Case I would move to 1/2" plates no doubt about it.

I direct copied you in case the links get trashed by the list.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"