Re: [AMC-list] rear end

The shop can pull the hubs easily without a special puller. They have to pull the axles out to change the outer bearings (something I'd go ahead and do). Then the axle/hub can be put in a shop press and pressed off. That's how I got mine off. They will probably be stuck and require a lot of pressure -- I used a 20 ton press and still had to leave one axle in over night under pressure. At some point in the night it popped off. Make sure there is a block of wood under the axle and it isn't far from the ground -- an inch is enough. That way it won't fall over when it finally pops loose (won't come out of the hub -- the hub end of the axle is tapered, so it will come loose after moving only 1/8-1/4").

With the hubs off the outer bearings and seals can be changed. The pinion seal can be changed without disturbing the gears also. No point in changing the inner axle bearings unless they are obviously making noise. The outer bearings carry all the weight of the car and are cheap enough to change while it's apart for the seals.

The axle uses standard axle lube. If it has Twin-Grip it can use the same additive or lube that is specified for GM limited slip axles. Your mechanic will know what to use.

In a message dated 9/25/2011 4:12:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,