[AMC-list] So far this weekend.

It's noonish here and I just got the T-96 mated back to the bellhousing on the
64 Classic.   Someof  you may recall that I wanted to give this car away last
year.  I kept it, couldn't stand to junk it, and had the clutch refurbished by
Tennessee Clutch in Nashville, TN a few weeks ago.   I thought I was ready to
reinstall the tranny this morning but when I inspected today I found that the
short shifter arm (1st/Reverse I think) had been jiggered by the precious owner
along with some of the other half-fast mods he had done.  The tranny had
evidently been dropped and the end of the shifter shaft had broken so he had
ground down the thickness of the shifter arm to fit on the shorter shaft.  The
nut didn't have many threads to grasp and had finally worked loose and the
shifter arm was lying next the tranny.   So, since it never hurts to have too
many parts, I used my other good T-96 overdrive and swapped the rear tranny
extension with the new rear seal over to it.

I had bought a transmission jack from Harbor Freight and it sure came in handy.
I'm working by myself and it took me about an hour of jiggling and inspecting
the tranny, clutch disk alignment, etc. to finally get the tranny mated into the
bellhousing.  I'm taking a well deserved break and hope to have the car down off
the jacks this evening.  It will be a treat to hear it run again and then go on
to my other punch list for the car.

On the 65 American front, I drove it to work again yesterday and it began to
have a serious leak from the front of the tranny.  I noticed a little puddle
after I parked it at home.   I won't drive it for long distance until I can
diagnose and fix that.  I do have another tranny which looked good when I
changed the oil and filter in it, but the rear seal was leaking on that one so I
swapped it for the one that's in there now.  The fluid is down about a quart in
about 250 miles and it makes a mess under my nicely pressure washed
undercarriage.

Joe Fulton