[AMC-list] Towing capacity (was why is it?)

A good way to judge towing capacity is to go through the hoops to rent something similar at the U-haul website. They are conservative, but that will give you a good idea. I used it to figure towing for a Commanche truck once. They would rent me a tow dolly for a small car, but that was it -- no trailer. I've towed a trailer with a 65 Classic V-8 on it with no problems, but the trailer had surge brakes. I wouldn't tow anything where the combined weight of trailer and vehicle is close to or exceeds the weight of the tow vehicle unless the trailer had good brakes. Very dangerous without the added braking!! You might be getting close to the same weight with a tow dolly and race car. I've never seen a tow dolly with brakes.

------------
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 08:45:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: "J. w."<sacranoidclub@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] why is it?

why is it when ever i start looking at eagles or cheaper amc cars that vansish....when ever i am not looking or not have cash they turn up all over the place?

does anyone know what an amc concord or eagle with a inline 6 be be good for towing? i have a race car i would like to tow on a dolly and was looking at something that would stil get decent gas mileage when not towing to use as a extra ride also. its not going to tow very offen with gas prices they way they are thats for sure. meybe once every couple of months for a few hours drive.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"