Re: [AMC-list] Thinking about getting the flywheel resurfaced - what els

Re: [AMC-list] Thinking about getting the flywheel resurfaced - what else should be hit at the same time?

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" I doubt there is a problem. The clutches in most cars that vintage
" were designed to slip a little when taking off. Helped grandma take
" off without spinning. Clutches in modern cars are tight in comparison.
" That's part of the reason you get "the jerks" when you try to take off
" at too low a speed in a modern car -- provided the engine doesn't
" choke down.

there's also the fwd/rwd difference - modern cars have a much shorter
unitized drivetrain; the engine can't move around without the diff
going with it.

" Another reason you can't get the Rambler to jerk like that
" is the low speed torque, but the clutch helps. It's harder to spin the
" wheels with the stock clutch setup, but I don't know of a performance
" pressure plate that fits. I'm sure you could find a stronger one if
" you looked around, might have to have the flywheel drilled for it
" though.

someone has a line of 9.5" clutches, aimed at late-ish model fwd cars,
but i'd be unsurprised if it used the same old 9 1/8" pattern.  mopar
had a 10" clutch that did, used originally with 273 v8s but for many
years with slant sixes in trucks.  you can probably still get it, but
a 10" disk with an amc/warner spline is harder.

" ------------
" Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:39:12 -0500
" From: Bruce Griffis<bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" When my son's friend did the clutch and throughout bearing on my T96,
" he cleaned up the flywheel a bit and took off the glaze. However, it
" was not resurfaced. It's not causing a lot of issues - I just go easy
" on the clutch and I'm okay. However - if I were to have the flywheel
" resurfaced - what else should I have checked out while it's out? Would
" that be a good time to take care of the main seal?
"
" I'm not sure if I'll just live with the clutch the way it is, or if I
" should get that taken care of and mess with seals (and there goes my
" carpet, headliner, armrest, sunvisor budget! But a car that drives
" well is probably a better choice than a car that looks pretty inside.