Re: [AMC-list] Thinking about getting the flywheel resurfaced - what els

Re: [AMC-list] Thinking about getting the flywheel resurfaced - what else should be hit at the same time?

I doubt there is a problem. The clutches in most cars that vintage were designed to slip a little when taking off. Helped grandma take off without spinning. Clutches in modern cars are tight in comparison. That's part of the reason you get "the jerks" when you try to take off at too low a speed in a modern car -- provided the engine doesn't choke down. Another reason you can't get the Rambler to jerk like that is the low speed torque, but the clutch helps. It's harder to spin the wheels with the stock clutch setup, but I don't know of a performance pressure plate that fits. I'm sure you could find a stronger one if you looked around, might have to have the flywheel drilled for it though.

------------
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:39:12 -0500
From: Bruce Griffis<bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

When my son's friend did the clutch and throughout bearing on my T96,
he cleaned up the flywheel a bit and took off the glaze. However, it
was not resurfaced. It's not causing a lot of issues - I just go easy
on the clutch and I'm okay. However - if I were to have the flywheel
resurfaced - what else should I have checked out while it's out? Would
that be a good time to take care of the main seal?

I'm not sure if I'll just live with the clutch the way it is, or if I
should get that taken care of and mess with seals (and there goes my
carpet, headliner, armrest, sunvisor budget! But a car that drives
well is probably a better choice than a car that looks pretty inside.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"