    Posted by: "adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Date: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:09 am ((PST))

" From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" My room mate is thinking about putting a VW diesel in her '86 MJ (currently
" no motor, but it had the 2.8 GM that she dislikes as much as I do) Trying
" to find a bell to fit the 2.0L to an AX-5 may be tough though. Anyone know
" if the SR4 bell swaps with T5? (the other trans option)

afaik yes - same bolt pattern anyway - but not sure if that moves you
any closer.  iirc amc used a unique warner 4sp with the audi 2.0, not
an sr4, but maybe you know of a vw/sr4 adapter.

lotsa toyota diesels would bolt up - the ax5 is sibling to their g and
w families; ratios match the g50.  you'd probably need the toy input
and retainer...  and you'd have to find a toy diesel, which aren't
common over here.

they've been discontinued, so you'd have to find leftover stock, but
the gm 3.4 crate motor pretty much fixed the problems with the early
2.8.  it was made to swap with the 2.8 in s-10s.