From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Sender: amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 21:39:46
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] American wagons...

Thanks for the words, Bruce. I'm slowly moving in the direction of a
non-wagon. I think a 65 (earlyish) American is the way to go. There's far
more of them than wagons. I honestly don't care 2 or 4 doors, both have
their advantages. I imagine 4 doors are easier to find. A sedan will be
better as a daily driver (though the dogs love the station wagon most of all
-- they hang out in it when I leave the doors open parked in the yard).
There's only one hardtop, 67? Unlikely to find one. Wouldn't rule it out
though if I did!

I should have enough money to buy someone's full restoration. I'm not saying
I will keep it totally stock, but a clean intact car with good paint and the
right setup, I doubt I'd do more than bolt-on changes (wheels, tires,
Pertronix, etc). Speakers in the door and rear shelf would be the biggest
atrocities. Probably remove any stereo, return the AM radio, these days, I
do a brick amp under the seat with the 1/8" stereo plug to an iPod clone.
Nothing to steal!

I know the feeling about "cheating", and it not being *my* project, but
buying someone's resto is a hell of a lot better than buying some stock 90's
used plastic car! And the one thing I can't do for the next year or so is a
full ground-up project.

It's gotta be a six, and I strongly prefer no power steering nor power
brakes. Prefer manual, but auto would not be a deal killer on the right car.
I honestly think the 199 or 232 would be better; mileage matters more than
power for daily use.

I don't know the details in the 64 - 69 models (I like the earlier body
styles better), I know some years (69?) there's a good selection of front
suspension and such aftermarket. Not sure about the early stuff, but
trunnions are not one of my worries.

I probably wouldn't even do a disc swap; I'd do what I did to my little
American. The fully ventilated brakes are GREAT.

Yeah, it will tow the little trailer just fine. Like I do now, just slow
down for the tough stuff,  crawling a long hill with a trailer is like .001%
of my driving time, saving that extra hour on a long trip isn't worth the
cost of a bigger car that other 99.999% of the time. We've found that the
camper negates the need to cram the wagon full of crap.