Re: [AMC-list] M8

Yup -- I'm towing with a twice-rebuilt air-cooled M35, with 250,000+
miles on it, in a Classic wagon. No cooler!

But what I do is, when I get to a steep grade with a trailer, slow
down to keep coolant temp acceptable. If that means 30 MPH up the
grade, fine by me. Out of all the driving I do, it's about 60 minutes
per year of that.

With a good liquid cooler it shouldn't be a problem it all. They're
fine transmissions, I think the downside of them is that they are not
as efficient as newer trannies, the eat more HP. They are reliable and
well built, probably overbuilt. Hard to find that these days.

I get a fluid+filter change and adjust every couple of years. No one
does that, but I do. Cheap insurance, and you get advance warning when
the bands and clutches are at end of life (run out of adjustment
range).

LAST thing I want is an on-the-road failure in an antique car.